Exercise is just as essential as eating in daily life; it’s not just a hobby, it’s a way for you to keep your body healthy and fit. However, a lot of people don’t have the time, money, or mood for gyms, what to do then?
It is a common misconception that you can’t workout at home, the trick is to figure out what to do from preparation to the type of exercise and how to do it without equipment.
Body Weight Exercise:
The idea behind this type of workout is to build muscle mass and burn calories using the weight of your body instead of gym machines.
How to do body weight exercises:
- Pick a type of exercise, whether Cardio or strength training.
- Choose ten different exercises in regards to intensity; you can combine high-intensity Burpees with simpler walking-in-place exercises, or push-ups with squats.
- Determine the duration of each exercise according to your fitness level.
- Determine the number of sets according to the desired intensity of the workout.
- Warm up before you start.
Example of equipment-free Cardio circuit:
- One minute walking-in-place; lift your knee high up and move your arms.
- One minute jogging-in-place; arms above the head.
- One minute High knees.
- One minute mountain climbers.
- One minute lateral shuffle with floor tap.
- One minute skaters.
- One minute jumping-in-place.
- One minute butt kicks.
Example of equipment-free strength training circuit:
- Warm up with a one minute walking-in-place.
- 25 reps of jumping jacks
- 20 bodyweight squats.
- 12 reverse lunges for each leg.
- 12 push-ups.
- 12 dips.
- 12 walking lunges; arms above the head.
- Lateral legs lift.
- Extension exercise; hip and back.
Exercises differ according to age, gender, and purpose, watching workout videos can give some guidance on that matter. You can exercise at any time within the privacy of your home, just set your mind towards a goal to achieve and follow a certain routine.
Some of the websites in which you can find workout videos according to the type of exercise, or your fitness level include:
There are several instructive websites addressing the issue of home workouts in terms of how to do them, the duration of each, and which routine to follow. Be precise about your needs and purpose of exercise to find the suitable regimen.
Here, you can find some exercises you can do at home.
Fitness Apps and Exergames:
You can make your home exercise experience more engaging and organized through workout apps that set a full exercise regimen with the suitable diet and timed music as both a duration alert and motivation.
Another term emerged recently known as Exergames; referring to video games that require actual physical movement. This method is not enough for weight loss and muscle mass building, but is sure a good and fun start on the way of fitness especially for those with insufficient motive.
Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, and Zumba Fitness for Wii are great examples of such Exergames.
It can be confusing at first figuring out what to do and when. Moreover, the fast-paced life we’re leading nowadays requires solutions for keeping up with fitness and achieving the body shape we desire. However, once you start, things kind of “flow” with the help of online tutorials, and engaging apps.